Friday, August 5, 2011

Grapes of Wrath

If I had the opportunity to rewrite or change something about the novel Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck and Robert DeMott, I would give the story a little more interest. I would in no way, shape, or form change anything about the history or truth about what happened during this time on our nations history, but at times I felt that the plot was dragging a little bit and way somewhat boring. I would try my absolute best to add some rising action and a climax without altering the facts about the nineteen thirties. This would be difficult. The story is written to tell some truth about what was going in during this time in our country's past. It gives the good, the bad, and the ugly. Somehow, the novel does this in a less than exciting way. Although it was a great story, I would add a little drama. Maybe instead of Tom Joad finding his family at his uncle's house a few miles away from his home, Tom would have to follow them to California and search for them. Rose of Sharon's husband would definitely not ditch her, even if he was scared or not prepared for the future. Rose of Sharon would also have a very healthy baby. I would try not changing the characters so much, but if I did then Rose of Sharon would not be as annoying. I do not care if she is pregnant or not, she needs to stop being so selfish sometimes. I would also try to add a little happiness in the end. All stories should have something happy. The Joad family would have gotten a little house, and if they did not have work then there would be the promise of work in the future. Rose of Sharon would have had a beautiful baby, and her brother Al would be working in a car garage like he had always wanted to. I love happy endings.


Steinbeck, John, and Robert J. DeMott. The Grapes of Wrath. New York: Penguin, 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment