Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Catcher in the Rye

Aside from the negative look on why I gave the novel The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger a three out of five star rating, I liked this book for many reasons. I thought three stars was fair because it is over half, and I liked the book more than I disliked it. One reason why I really liked the story was the setting. I can only imagine what New York City was like the in nineteen-fifties. Without the crime and danger that goes through there--as well as pretty much everywhere--New York City must have been the perfect place to be. I always think of the nineteen-fifties as being very classy and fashionable and very interesting. It just seems like a fun time! Holden Caulfield, the main character, was able to walk around and live by himself in the city when he was only sixteen years old. He did not feel threatened or felt the need to be cautious of anything. Everyone was just out to go see movies, live singers, or simply walk around and enjoy where they were. I picture New York City to be beautiful in the fifties. I guess the word I am looking for to describe the image of the nineteen-fifties New York City in my mind would be this: glamorous. Holden talks about all of the prep schools and movie stars and live shows, it seems like everyone was having a good time. I picture it as being so different from out modern world, and that difference makes it that much more interesting. Everywhere Holden went, whether it was to a bar by himself or to a theatre with a girl, there was always a live show. Someone was singing classic tunes or a band was playing something upbeat. It was music in almost its purest form. I would absolutely love to go back in time with Holden and witness the glamour of nineteen-fifties New York City for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment