Sunday, August 21, 2011

Summer Work - Opinions

If you ask me, I have very strong opinions about this summer work. Very, very strong opinions. And most of those opinions are not positive in any way. I did not dislike the reading; I am actually very glad I had to opportunity to read Grapes of Wrath and The Catcher in the Rye because they are both classics, I had heard so much about them, and I had time to read them. I guess I was lucky to be able to read those two books because usually I hate required reading. I probably would have enjoyed The Catcher in the Rye more if it had not been required and I had read it on my own time. Every summer reading experience I have had in the past has been inconvenient because I do not have time to write a two page paper over a book I did not like. This summer was different though. I hated everything about the blogs. Not only were they more inconvenient than the papers in years past, there were way too many required. I do not understand how every student was expected to do this because they are so time consuming, and the internet is not a stable thing to work with. Internet connections go out all the time for no reason, especially if you live in the country. I would have much rather written a paper over the books we were required to read than spend my time staring at a computer screen. I do not see any point of the blogs because they are not helping or teaching students anything but how to use as many words as possible to meet the minimum. I can guarantee that at least forty-five percent of the Honors English 332 did not even read the books. I can imagine it is much easier to summarize and paraphrase someone else’s blog (because they are public to any user of the world wide web) than to make up your own ideas in a paper. It is a good thing the required reading was not that horrible, or else this would be the most pointless summer homework ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment