Thursday, October 6, 2011

Reflection- Declaration of Independence

When reading the Declaration of Independence, there are a few things that Thomas Jefferson makes a very good point about.  As he does this though, there are several instances when Thomas Jefferson, among others, uses from faulty logic to try to back up his points.  One example of the use of faulty logic in the Declaration of Independence would be using name calling.  "The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute tyranny over these states..."  This statement could be questionable and believed to be faulty logic.  The Declaration of Independence was made to give the rights and freedom to America.  People reading this were supposed to agree and feel like they were a part of the country.  Someone reading the Declaration of Independence who was on the border of agreeing with anything Thomas Jefferson saying might take this to offense; what if they still favored the King of Great Britain?  I know that if someone was saying bad things about a person or a subject that I liked or agreed with, I would immediately get offended and decide two things: I would decide to hate the person, and I would decide to hate anything that they were about, including what they had written.  Thomas Jefferson could definitely have lost some fans by bashing on the King of Great Britain.  That is one of the consequences of using faulty logic; there is a very good possibility that someone will recognize it and choose to disagree with you.  The chances of that person going around and spreading their negative opinions about your ideas are very, very, very great.  I do not know if Thomas Jefferson knew this risk, but he obviously did not care and just wanted to get a strong point across to the crowd he was aiming his information at.  In the end, though, I feel like Thomas Jefferson made his point across in the Declaration of Independence.  His use of faulty logic did not effect enough people for his document and information to be totally wrong.  His only problem was sprinkling his own personal opinions into what he was writing.  As long as some people agree with his opinions, then he was successful in spreading the word in the Declaration of Independence.  As I think about this topic of the use of faulty logic, I am sure that there are many other uses of faulty logic in many more important documents.  Who even takes the time the read these documents and analyze them enough to realize that they may or many not contain faulty logic?  I do not mean to sound like I am getting heated, but these are the questions that go through my mind as I read these documents and write these blogs.  In my opinion, I do not think that faulty logic is bad all of the time.  Sometimes it is nice to have some outside opinions.  If you do not understand the topic, maybe the way someone thinks about it may help you understand.  I don't even know what I'm saying anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment