Friday, February 10, 2012

Reflection- Cavalry Crossing a Ford

For this blog, I read Cavalry Crossing a Ford by Walt Whitman.  This was a very short story and I am honestly not for sure how this has to do with the writing of Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau.  I am not sure if I analyzed this correctly, but I feel like this could have several ways to interpret this.  When I read Cavalry Crossing a Ford, it took me a couple times reading it to figure out that it was talking about soldiers and a troop.  As of right now, the soldiers are just riding their horses by a creek or a river.  Their horses are resting and getting a drink.  I think they are just kind of chilling out in between battles, or maybe they are taking their time to the next battle.  If I had to guess, I would say this might be during the Civil War time because it talks about the colors of the flags.  "Scarlet and blue and snowy white."  I used this to make an extremely vague, but what I think is a very valid comparison, to the writings and philosophies of Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau.  Both Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau had very strong opinions of their government.  They did not like taxes, and were extremely opposed to the idea of slavery.  The product of the Civil War was the emancipation of slaves.  Here is the thought process I used to link these very different things together: The soldiers in the passage from Walt Whitman were fighting in the Civil War--they were Confederates so they wanted to keep slavery, but that is beside the point--, which in turn ended slavery, which was exactly what Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau wanted to happen. I want to hank you for reading this to the end and not giving up on my lame ideas on this subject, which may or may not have been relevant or even made sense.

"118. Cavalry Crossing a Ford. Whitman, Walt. 1900. Leaves of Grass." Bartleby.com: Great Books Online -- Quotes, Poems, Novels, Classics and Hundreds More. Web. 09 Feb. 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment